Cal Ripken's mom, according to Police, has had a 'bad run of luck'.
Remember she was abducted at gunpoint last year and driven around before being freed. Now, yesterday, she found herself being carjacked at gunpoint in an Aberdeen bank parking lot. Quick thinking, she hit the car alarm and scared him off. Crazy. Here's more on the story.
Tips to avoid being a victim of carjacking and crime
1. One of easiest things you can do is LOCK YOUR DOORS. It sounds simple, but, if people locked their doors, the bad guy would have problems getting in your vehicle in the first place.
2. Stay alert. Alone on a road and see someone standing near a corner and the light is red, stop before them. Pay attention to your surroundings and know who is around you at all times.
3. Always park in well-lighted areas, if you plan to arrive/leave after dark.
4. Don't park in isolated or visually obstructed areas near walls or heavy foliage.
5. Use valet parking or an attended garage, if you're a woman driving alone.
6. As you walk to your car, be alert to suspicious persons sitting in cars.
7. Ask for a security escort if you are alone at a shopping center.
8. As you approach your vehicle, look under, around, and inside your car.
9. When stopped in traffic, leave room to maneuver and escape, if necessary.
10.If you are bumped in traffic, by young males, be suspicious of the accident.
Wave to follow, and drive to a gas station or busy place before getting out.
11. If you are ever confronted by an armed carjacker, don't resist.
12. Don't argue, fight, or chase the robber. You could be seriously injured or killed.
13. Never agree to be kidnapped. Drop the car keys, run, and scream for help.
14. If you are forced to drive, consider crashing your car near a busy intersection so bystanders can come to your aid and call police.
15. Call the police immediately to report the crime and provide detailed information.